Monday, May 4, 2015

Life after College

Hello Beautiful Dolls,

This weekend I got a chance to visit my undergrad school, SIUC. It was at the moment of driving down state that all these emotions began to boil over. I was super excited to be visiting the campus, but I had no idea it would bring up old emotions about being a student and living life as an independent young women. I was talking with some family members and all I could do was to tell them that this was the place that forced me to be on my own and grow up. College life for me was not only an academic experience but a truth experience as well. College is where I walked in as an inexperienced young girl with very little exposure, and walked out a well rounded women. You see, for me college was more than going away, it was an escape from the mean streets of Chicago and dodging the bullets without names and running away from the drug infested houses and drug slanging corners. It was a moment of truth after walking across my high school stage, it was a choice life or death. I has to choose living beyond my environment or melting into what it had to offer. I had chosen  life away from my household, streets, and family, because neither of them would secure my life and a successful future. SIUC was a vacation compared to the south-side of Chicago. So visiting the place that brought me growing pains and taught me how to persevere and endure regardless of my background was overwhelming. Walking into the very buildings that once brought me fear turned out to be offering me destiny. I am so grateful for the experience of growing up. Life at SIUC was nothing I could have been told but everything I experienced and learned. Thank You SIUC. I bleed maroon blood and empowered by the Saluki SPIRIT!!!!!

P.S. I LOVE SIUC





No comments:

Post a Comment